FERN CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
A new school year is upon as and we are once again working with Fern Creek Elementary School. On Wednesday, September 14, W.M. Smith and I went to the school an met with our main Point of Contact, Ms. Holly Venture. Ms. Venture then took use to meet Mrs. Amanda Kahre (first picture) and Ms. Nicole Castelluccio (second picture). Mrs. Kahre is in her second year as a teacher, but first with Fern Creek. She is currently teaching third grade. Ms. Castelluccio is in her first year teaching as she is a new college graduate. In the coming days, I hope to get their list of supplies so that we can start to collect them. At this time, we are anticipating hosting our Fern Creek Family on October 11 to present them with the supplies that we have collected. Please come out and show your support for these two young ladies that have a very important, but often difficult job.
As I gather more information, about what supplies the teachers want, I will post that information here and on Facebook. If you decide to pick stuff up, just tell me so that I can use the funds I have for different supplies. I do know that Mrs. Kahre would like a new classroom rug which is outside her budget. I have already asked Br. Timothy French from South Seminole to include me in working the booths at the next UCF games so that I can get the money I need.
I was able to get some of the items that Mrs. Kahre wanted, but there are several more items (most of them books) that she wants that I was not able to get. The list is below if you are interested.
- There is a Bird on Your Head – Mo Williams
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the But – Mo Williams
- The Pigeon Wants a Puppy – Mo Williams
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late – Mo Williams
- The Recess Queen by Alexis O’Neill
- Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
- How Full is your Bucket? By Carol McCloud
- Have you filled a bucket today? By Carol McCloud
- What if everybody did that? By Ellen Javernick
- Lillys Plastic Purple Purse by Kevin Henkes
- Don’t Eat the Teacher! By Nick Ward
- Cloudette by Tom Lichtenheld
- Moosetache by Margie Palatini
- Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes
- First Grade Jitters by Robert Quackenbush
- The Girl who Never made mistakes by Gary Rubinstein
- Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
- Crickwing by Janell Cannon
- You’re Finally Here by Mélanie Watt
- Because you are my teacher by Sherry North
- Don’t Squeal unless it’s a big deal by Jeanie Franz Ransom
- Miss Nelson is missing by James Marshall, Harry Allard
- Lacy Walker, non-stop talker by Christianne Jones
She would also like a paper cutter and a 5×7 rug for her classroom. If you’d like to get the rug, see me and I’ll tell you which one it is.
Ms. Castelluccio has a smaller list, but her items are a bit pricier:
- An All-Purpose Teaching Easel from Lakeshorelearning.com
- Classroom Laminating Machine from Lakeshorelearning.com
The other supplies that Ms. Castelluccio has requested we were able to obtain. Finally, during the evening when we hosted Fern Creek at the lodge, she mentioned that her class is into conservation and preservation of endangered. After a quick web search I found some information as as of 10/12/19, her class became the proud “adoptive” parents of a manatee named Ginger. Ginger frequents the Tampa waters and is known to have 2 calves, one of which has been named Ale. Yes, that’s right Ginger and Ale.
As W.M. Smith and I talked to the teachers, we came up with a few ideas that we may work towards. The teachers asked about guest speakers for various topics, the first of which deals with animals, especially endangered animals. We also told them that we would be willing to help with things like judges for a science fair or assistants at a spelling bee. So keep a look out as we may need volunteers to continue supporting this wonderful school.
Our Adopted Teachers, Assistant Principal and Program Director of Fern Creek Elementary at our Lodge